Rules for talking to your teen
If you find it challenging to connect with your teenager, Josh Emery shares tips to talk to your teen”
1. Validate them – “It sounds like you’re feeling …”
2. Ask them if they would like any support from you
3. Give them a hug or some available form of physical touch.
4. Ask them if they need space to process
5. Say something like, “I am sorry you have to go through this, I believe you can make it though.”
Find more helpful resources from our blog posts made specfically for your teen:
Finding out your child/teen is engaging in self-harming behaviors can throw any parent into a whirlwind of emotions- fear, anger, sadness, and confusion (just to name a few). Understanding why your child would harm their body can be very difficult. I intend to shed...
If your teen is suicidal, you are not alone. At Emery Counseling we have therapists on staff to work with your entire family though this difficult time.
Puberty is a challenging time in a teenagers life. Emery counseling has the skills and knowledge to walk through teenage counseling.
Do you feel like your teen ignores everything you say? At Emery Counseling we have the best resources to come along side you and your teen.